Saturday, May 22, 2010

Farmers Market

I got up bright & early this morning to get in a workout before heading to the Worthington Farmers Market with my Mom. It runs from May-October and with it only being a few miles from my apartment, I wanted to head down to see if I could get some fresh fruits & veggies.

A few of the booths set up on the green space in Old Worthington One of the first places we stopped at was a stand with organic cheese so I tried a couple samples and decided on the Colby Dill cheese for Todd.

Tons of different cheeses such as Chipotle Cheddar and Muenster (my favorite)
There were probably 30 stands set up with anything from cheese to plants to pastries to meat. Since it's still pretty early in the season, there weren't a lot of fruits & veggies available. I was hoping to find some strawberries, cucumbers, and bell peppers but the majority of what I saw was asparagus, lettuce, and green beans. I think I might have more luck in June or July with what I'm looking for.

A few of the pretty flowers one vendor was selling
Even though I didn't find what I was hoping to get, I still came home with several fun things to try. I got the Colby Dill cheese for Todd, some all natural Cheddar Garlic Biscuits, and Luna Burgers.

The goods

I had never heard of these vegan burgers but I found out they're locally grown & made from farms across the Columbus region and are actually sold at several local natural food stores, including Whole Foods. They also serve these at several restaurants across Columbus. They come in 3 varieties: Classic, Garden Thyme, and Farmhouse Chili. I got the Classic, which is made of rosemary, beets, and black beans. I'll definitely have to keep my eyes peeled from now on when I'm at Whole Foods to find these. I had a sample at the stand and they were delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is it sad/bad that i've never been to a farmer's market?! i need to get my butt in gear, looks like it was a great time :)