Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Todd's holiday weekend started a day earlier when his parents came into town on Friday to help him put in our new front door.  I think this is the first time I have and will ever say this but thank god I was at work all day!  I came home from work and we had a giant hole in the front of our house because he wasn't just replacing the actual front door but the entire frame with the window panels too.  We knew when we bought our house this was going to need to be replaced because most of the frame inside and outside of the house was rotted out. Oh, and keep in mind it was also 90 degrees outside so with no AC on, it was sweltering in the house.  Todd & his dad worked the entire day and finally at about 11:00 PM, they were able to put the door in and we could go to sleep. 

This was around dinner time (inside of our house looking out)

Saturday morning I got up early to make Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast cake (recipe coming in the next couple days) for Todd and his parents before going to teach spinning.



Todd & his dad still had quite a bit of work to do even though the frame and door were in.  I honestly never thought it was going to end (and I wasn't even the one doing any of the work!) but by 4:00 PM, they were wrapping up and his parents were on the road back to Leetonia.  We're so grateful that they were able to come down and help because otherwise we would have had to pay someone to do this.

Todd finishing up the door

After his parents left, we got ready and headed downtown for my belated birthday dinner at Marcella's.   This is one of my favorite restaurants in Columbus and there were lots of people out & about since the weather was so nice.

Marcella's

We started with my favorite appetizer ever--melted pecorino cheese with apple slices and crostini

Fettucini and meatball for me with a glass of sangria

We drove back home and stopped at Jeni's ice cream in Powell for something sweet

Todd had to head into work for a few hours early Sunday morning so I got up at the same time to get in my 10 miles before it got too hot outside.  Even with the sun still down, it was hot & humid and I was a sweaty mess by the time I was done.  Once Todd got home, we headed over to Zoombezi Bay just in time for it to open around 10:30 AM.  It was already packed by the time we got there so we threw our stuff on a chair and waited in line for the slides.  We rode 2 slides before lounging on a beach chair for a couple hours.  The sun was hot and we felt like we were getting fried so we headed back home around 2:30 PM.  The good thing is we have a season pass and will have plenty of time this summer to ride more slides.

Some of the slides at Zoombezi Bay

The rest of the afternoon we spent on projects around the house (Todd bulit a desk that we got from Ikea for our spare bedroom), ate dinner, and then met my dad so we could go visit my great aunt who just recently moved from a nursing home in Cleveland to Columbus. 

Our day off on Monday for Memorial Day was another early start as I wanted to head to the track for some speedwork for the first time in 2 years.  The heat was stifling yet again but I managed a great 5 mile workout: 1 mile warm up, 4 x 800 with 400 jog in between, and 1 mile cool down.  I will eventually build up to 8 800s during the summer but didn't want to kill myself since it was hot and I had just run 10 miles the day before.

Olentangy Liberty Middle School track

Todd got a picture of me on the backside of the track

We got to work on more projects around the house as soon as we got home (notice a theme here?).  I painted some of the trim around the door as well as the board underneath the door while Todd put together his giant tool chest his parents got him for Christmas and just brought down on Friday.

Our new front door

We spent the rest of the day running errands and working around the house before I called it quits at dinner time so we could actually spend some time together and relax before the work week started back up.

No comments: