Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Weeklong Birthday Celebration

Todd was in Japan all last week for work so it was just me the girls and even though it was really cold out last Friday, I wanted to get out of the house and take the girls somewhere.  Mount Carmel was having a special employee only night at the zoo on Friday for a sneak peek of the Wildlights before it opens up tomorrow for the holiday season so I bundled up the girls and we headed a couple miles down the road to the zoo.  The event officially started once the zoo closed to the public but you could go anytime on Friday and we decided to go around 4:30 PM.  It was perfect because the zoo closes to the public at 5:00 PM so there was hardly anyone there and it was just starting to get dark.  Lucy loved the lights and the Christmas music playing throughout the zoo (I really should've taken a video of her singing, skipping, and dancing as we walked around) and she kept saying that this was the best day ever and it was super fun (super is her new favorite word).  We rode the carousel (and were literally the only people on it), rode the train, saw the polar bears, checked out a lot of Christmas lights, and popped inside a few buildings to stay warm from time to time.  We were there for a couple hours before we drove home to warm up and to eat dinner.

Posing by the lights at the pond

The penguins aren't out right now but that didn't stop Lucy from wanting a picture with Pepe

She was so excited to get the carousel to herself (besides me & Cece) and it was the first time she was willing to ride the horse by herself without Todd or I standing right next to her 

Cece & I sat on a bench next to Lucy's horse

We walked around the whole pond to see all the lights 

Riding the train

Inside the building up by the polar bears where Santa will be (he hadn't arrived yet)

The girls & I didn't do anything to exciting on Saturday--we went to the Y, ran some errands, and Lucy & I started making Todd's birthday cake. Todd arrived home on Saturday evening just as I was putting the girls to bed and that was definitely the highlight of the weekend!

Lucy helping me make Todd's cake (notice the big chocolate ring around her mouth, yes, she is my daughter and I'm pretty sure she only wants to help so she can lick the beaters & spoon)

Since Todd's birthday this year falls in the middle of the week (his birthday is today!), we are able to extend his birthday celebration into a weeklong event.  On Sunday morning, we went to breakfast at Anne's Kitchen in Powell and it was great!  We don't go out to breakfast very often but we will definitely have to go back again.  Todd's fried green tomato omelet was amazing!  I took a couple hours to myself on Sunday afternoon to get a pedicure and go to Target while Todd stayed home with the girls.  I needed a few hours to myself and felt refreshed and ready to start another week after that.  My parents came over that evening for cake & presents for Todd's birthday.  I made him a Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Cake which turned out really well.  It was definitely a little bit more time consuming than I anticipated (I had to make part of it the day before so it could set up in the fridge) but with how it turned out, I think it was worth my time.  Plus, Todd loved it which is really what counts since it was for his birthday.

Outside Anne's Kitchen

Todd & his girls (who were very excited to have him back home)

Todd's fried green tomato omelet was so good (as was the sausage) and I had said I wish they had a sandwich on the menu with the fried green tomatoes (like a Fried Green Tomato BLT)

My parents came over after dinner for cake so we already had the girls in their pjs (Lucy picked out these matching pjs--they have cupcakes & donuts on them!)

Blowing out the candles
 

Reading Lucy's handmade card and opening presents

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Cake

Todd's birthday celebration continues today with donuts from Der Dutchman for breakfast (the girls & I stopped there yesterday after work) and then our family of four is heading to 101 Beer Kitchen tonight for dinner.  On Saturday, Todd & I have a babysitter booked and will get a date night to Brewdog Brewery & Taproom in Canal Winchester.  

No comments: