Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Our Last Weekend Before Christmas Celebrations Begin

Another busy holiday weekend is done and it was our last one before starting our Christmas celebrations on Friday.  This past weekend (which I'm counting as starting on Thursday night), we had Lucy's holiday open house for dance, we made & iced Christmas cookies, took Lucy to see the musical, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, at the Palace Theatre, Todd & I finished wrapping all our presents, and I had my annual book club brunch Christmas party.  Oh, and Cecelia finally started walking on Thursday evening too!  Like I said, it was a busy & exciting few days for us!

Lucy ready to show off her tap skills

We got to see their entire class from start to finish which started with warm ups and ended with a little number they'd been practicing for a couple months

They danced to "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth"

So proud of Lucy when she came home from school on Friday and had written her full name all by herself with only one tiny mistake (clearly, we need to work on spacing though)

After school on Friday, Lucy & Cece helped me make sugar cookies

She had fun picking out all the different cookie cutters

Proof that Cece was there too

We even had a few visitors in our backyard watching us as we baked

This was the third year I've done these since my mom passed the tradition onto me and I think it was my best batch yet

Outside the Palace Theatre before the show on Saturday morning

Lucy spotted Rudolph waving to her

Before the show, the Columbus Zoo had a skunk & penguin to see and touch

The penguin had a lot softer fur than I thought it would--I was expecting it to be wiry but it was very soft

Before heading to our seats

We had fantastic seats and lucked out that Lucy's seat was right where there was a break in the railing for the stairs to the loge so she wasn't blocked by the railing


Ready for the show to start!

Later Saturday afternoon, my dad came over so we could ice the cookies we made on Friday

Cece dipped her brush in the icing...

and apparently thought we were face painting and not icing cookies
 

She was covered in icing and sprinkles by the end

Everyone icing cookies

Lucy concentrating on her masterpiece

Todd icing a Santa

Still going strong eating sprinkles

Grandpa & Lucy

I was quite impressed with how Lucy did on her snowman and candy cane

The infamous "slop" cookie where we just slop all the leftover icing on a cookie at the end (Lucy kept calling it a "slobber" cookie)

Finished cookies

On Sunday, I made these egg, cheese, and ham mini croissants sandwiches to take to my book club brunch holiday party

Amazing spread of brunch food 

We always do a favorite things gift exchange (everyone brings their favorite thing that costs $5, enough for each person) and this was the haul this year (not pictured are socks and a cute olive basket)

I have a few busy days at work (I'm working at 3:45 AM twice this week) before we head up to see Todd's family on Friday to celebrate Christmas with his side of the family.  My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew arrive into town from San Francisco on Friday so we'll see them when we're back home on Christmas Eve and will be able to spend a couple days with them and my parents before I have to head back to work next Wednesday.

No comments: