Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Apple Picking, Football, and Stair Climb

It officially feels like fall now!  We shifted from 90+ degrees last week to barely breaking 60 degrees on Sunday.  I have a feeling the temps will be up and down quite a bit in the next month so I'm hoping we'll still see some nice warm days before it gets colder every day.  We took advantage of being outside on Friday (especially since it ended up raining the entire weekend) by picking apples at Branstool Orchards and stopping at Velvet Ice Cream afterwards.  Lynn & Brody met us out in Utica (close to an hour drive northeast of us) for a morning of fun.

Kids in the wagon ready to go pick some apples

Cece wasted no time

Lucy quickly joined in too

We went primarily for the honeycrisp apples and they were really good 

Smiles for mom

All 3 kiddos

Couldn't pass up a picture of me with Lucy & Cece since Lynn was there to take it

Posing on our way out

Our next stop was just a mile or so down the street at Velvet Ice Cream

The kids played for a little bit at the playground

Lucy & Cece

Once their restaurant opened, we went in for ice cream and milkshakes

Cece got a vanilla milkshake...

and Lucy got a scoop of Super Friends which was bubble gum flavored (not my top choice but hey, she liked it and ate most of it)

Despite the rain on Saturday, Todd still had plans to meet up with some friends to golf (it was one of his friend's birthday and they had to get him out of the house in order for his wife to throw a surprise party for him) and then go to the party.  Luckily, one of my friends invited us (and some others) over last minute for the OSU game that afternoon.  The girls had a blast playing in the basement with their friends (it's the same kids Lucy plays with when she comes to my monthly book club with me) and I was able to hang out with my friends. 

Matching game day shirts (glad they still fit from last year!)

Cece playing with Doc McStuffins

Lucy was already dressed up and playing with dolls shortly after we got there

The girls eating dinner together

On Sunday morning, I participated again in the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb as part of Upper Arlington Fire Department's team.  Although myself and my coworkers (we work with a lot of local fire departments and most closely with UA) didn't wear the full turnout gear like the firefighters, we did either wear bottles or weight vests.  Last year, I wore a 30 lb weight vest with shorts and a tank top and did the climb with relative ease.  I wanted to challenge myself this year so I wore a 50 lb weight vest, tights, and long sleeves and it was definitely harder than last year.  It's a great event to honor the 343 firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11 and I know the UA firefighters really appreciate our support.

Todd & the girls came to cheer us on

You pick out a badge of one of the first responders who died that day and you climb in honor of them; after you finish, you ring a bell and say their name

Five of my seven coworkers did the climb (I initially had a bottle on but realized it was pretty light so I switched to the weight vest)

UA's team before the climb

Everyone has their gear on and is ready to go

Waving to the girls after our first flight (we did 5 flights of 24 floors so 120 floors total)

We were a sweaty mess afterwards

Cece  & I

Our team again after the climb

No comments: