Thursday, January 14, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to breakfast foods. I'll go weeks with eating Low-fat Eggo NutriGrain waffles with peanut butter and then be so sick of them that I won't even think about eating them for months. The same goes for cereal, english muffins, and pumpkin bread. I really wanted a new, healthy breakfast that's easy to make and easy to take with me if I need to eat breakfast at work. Well, thanks to Todd's sister & mom, I have something new to throw into my breakfast rotation. I went home with him the weekend of Thanksgiving and his sister had this at her house and it was delicious. I'm not a big fan of regular oatmeal so this baked oatmeal was perfect because it's crumbly and more like a cake. Also, you can add tons of different ingredients so it's always different.

Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients: 1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup white or brown sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 large egg, beaten
2 cups quick oats, uncooked
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk

*You can also add walnuts, slivered almonds, raisins, dried fruits, fresh fruit, etc. My favorite is adding slivered almonds with an extra sprinkle of brown sugar on the top. Feel free to double the recipe too for a bigger batch.*

Directions: Mix oil, sugar & egg together. Add oats, baking powder, salt, & milk and mix well. Pour into 9x5 pan. Bake for 350 degrees for 25 min. Serve with milk.


1 comment:

Dick Beardsley said...

Jenny, your baked oatmeal recipe looks delicious and I'm a big fan of oatmeal, I eat it almost every morning after my run! Keep up the awesome running and have a great day!

Dick Beardsley :-)