Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spartacus Workout

Ok so I've been talking about this "Spartacus Workout" for a week or so & thought I'd share what it actually is. The guys I work with were talking about it because they'd read it in Men's Health so I thought I'd try it too. It's a high intensity circuit designed to work every part of your body. There are 10 exercises that you are suppose to do for 1 minute each, doing as many reps as you can with good form, before moving onto the next exercise. You get 2 minutes to rest in between circuits and are suppose to repeat the circuit 2 more times for a total of 3 times through each exercise. You also use weights for each exercise. Now, if you don't exercise or lift that much, you probably will not make it through this whole thing 3 times. If you can't make it through the entire minute, rest a few seconds and then resume until your time doing that exercise is done. You can also use lighter dumbbells or no weight at all.

I've tried this workout twice now, consider myself to be in pretty good shape, and I have yet to make it through the circuit 3 times doing 1 minute for each exercise. The first time I tried I made it through twice doing 1 minute for each exercise. The second time I did it with Emily and we made it through 3 times but only for 30 seconds. The split lunge jumps (exercise #5) are killer for 1 minute! You will be sore for days after doing this.

Here's a link for it if you're unfamiliar with the exercises and need pictures to look at: Spartacus Workout

Circuit: 3 x 1 min
1. Goblet Squat
2. Mountain Climbers
3. Single-arm Dumbbell Swing
4. T-pushup
5. Split Lunge Jumps
6. Dumbbell Row
7. Dumbbell Side Lunge & Touch
8. Pushup Row
9. Dumbbell Lunge & Rotation
10. Dumbbell Push Press

Total time is about 40 minutes from start to finish.

Good luck & let me know if any of you attempt this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow what a great workout. i'm going to print this and bring this to me next time i'm at the gym

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This workout looks INSANE!! And yes, West End market. It was fantastic!

Unknown said...

I came across this thread and I had to post because I have also recently started this workout. I'm in the Marines. I've been in for a while and I'm in very good shape by Marine Corps standards. I did this routine and I made it through the first set with some difficulty and drenched in sweat. On the second set, i finished it but I was not able to complete all the exercises for the entire minute. I decided to make completing this exercise my goal. This is, by all means, a GUT CHECK. Not for the faint of heart but I do recommend it to those who need some cardio or to build muscle endurance.