Friday, March 5, 2010

Show Us Your Life: My Typical Day as an Exercise Physiologist

Every Friday, Kelly at Kelly's Korner has a topic to "Show Us Your Life." I decided to finally post about this week's topic, what my typical day is like.

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

4:30 am: Wake up & head to the gym (either my apartment gym if I'm just running or the gym I teach at, Lifestyle Family Fitness, if I'm cross-training or lifting)

4:50 am-6:15 am: Run & workout

My tiny apartment complex gym....my fave treadmill is the one on the left with the red book covering the screen
The other side of the room with the weights

6:15 am: Back home getting ready for work

7:30 am: Work day begins (unless it's my week to go to the local fire station to put the firefighters through a workout in which case I don't have to be there until 8:30am....which means a longer workout!)


The office I share with 2 of my coworkers (my space is on the right)
A close-up of my desk


8:00 am-12:30 pm: Fitness testing firefighters & police officers; fitness testing includes body composition, VO2max testing on the treadmill with EKG interpretation, sit & reach, sit ups, chest press, and leg press

One of the fitness testing rooms where we do VO2max testing along with EKG monitoring & interpretation
12:30 pm-1:30 pm: Lunch; I love my coworkers (there are 4 of us plus my boss) so lunch usually consists of lots of joking around & lots of laughing

1:30-4:00 pm: Finishing out the work day with hopefully more fitness testing but some afternoons can be slow so it consists of making workouts for the firefighters I train (or sometimes workouts for myself), working on any projects or presentations we have coming up, making reminder appointment phone calls....or even reading a book, which is how I read so many books

4:00-5:30pm: On my way home from work, I'm usually running some sort of errand whether it's to the grocery store, the library to pick up books I have on reserve, or to waste lots of money at Target

5:30-6:30pm: Checking email, reading other blogs, making & eating dinner

6:30-9:30pm: Typically spent watching a couple of the many tv shows I have dvr'ed (I hate commercials and refuse to watch shows live, unless it's a sporting event), reading, getting stuff ready for the next day and talking to Todd before heading to bed


If Todd & I are hanging out during the week, my evening will be slightly altered depending on what we have planned (movies, going out to dinner, indoor rock climbing, hanging out with friends, wine tastings, etc). We usually try to eat dinner together though if we are hanging out.

And there you have it, the exciting life of an Exercise Physiologist!

3 comments:

Dave said...

I definitely chuckled on "unless it's a sporting event" :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing! and you are so hardcore getting up so early! have you always been a morning person or did you have to develop that once you got into the "real world"?

Lindsey said...

i found your blog through KK. i love how dedicated you are to running... i am just starting running (i'm signed up for the capital city 1/2 marathon in May here in columbus!). i wish i had the same commitment to working out in the morning as you do. I hope you have a great friday!