Thursday, February 17, 2011

Belated Valentine's Day at Melting Pot

Since Todd & I didn't want to spend $175 at the Melting Pot on Valentine's Day (yes, they were really charging that much per couple!), we postponed our dinner plans to last night. The funny thing is, we were sitting at a table close to the entrance of the restaurant and every time the hostess walked by with a couple, she would ask them why they were going out to dinner and every couple said it was to celebrate a belated Valetine's Day. Clearly, we weren't the only ones thinking $175 was a little steep for dinner for two.

I've been wanting to go to Melting Pot forever and was pretty excited to finally go. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high or if I thought for the price of the food it would be out of this world, but I was slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was good and Todd & I definitely ate all of our food, but it didn't live up to the hype. I did love the whole experience of Melting Pot though. We were actually cooking the food at our table and we had plenty of time to enjoy each other's company.

We started with a cheese fondue followed by salads, our main meat course and ending with a delicious chocolate fondue. Obviously, the chocolate fondue was my favorite and we ate up every last drop.

Wisconsin Cheese Trio with apples, bread, and veggies
California Salad for Todd & Caesar Salad for me
I got the Vegetarian entree but substituted tofu for chicken...there were lots of veggies & ravioli
Todd got the Shrimp & Sirloin along with a side of veggies & potatoes

Our meat is cooking away
Amazing dippers for the chocolate fondue...my favorite were the strawberries & rice krispy treats
The Original dessert fondue....chocolate with crunchy peanut butter swirled in
Todd & I celebrating our 3rd Valentine's Day together

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I tried the Melting Pot over the summer for my first time and had the same reaction as you. I went with friends and while I enjoyed the social event aspect of our dinner, I thought the entire meal was very overpriced for what we got. Paying that much money for a good meal anywhere else would give me plenty of leftovers, but not at the melting pot. Don't feel bad about being a little disappointed. You are not alone :)

Anonymous said...

i love the melting pot. mostly because my friends always have a good time laughing. good call waiting until not valentine's day to go . that price tag was a lot!

Haley said...

I had the same experience. I don't think I would go back- it is a different type of experience but the best part was for sure the dessert.
Way over priced for not nearly enough food!