Sunday, July 24, 2011

Genoa Firefighters MDA 5K

I wanted to run at least one 5K this summer and it seems like with my busy schedule and having to teach on Sunday mornings, it really limits which races I can actually run. I decided about a month ago to run the Genoa Firefighters MDA 5K yesterday morning. The race was only $20 (which seems relatively cheap now days for a 5K) and I do the fitness testing for Genoa Township Firefighters so I figured it was good to show my face there and talk with some of the guys.

I babysat the night before the race and didn't get home until 1:00 AM so I was a little tired when my alarm went off at 7:00 AM but felt pretty good and was ready to race. This was a significant cutback week for me in terms of mileage so my legs felt rested and all I was worried about was the heat & humidty awaitng me outside.

A nervous smile before the race

Columbus Police & Fire Pipes and Drums

I thought it was pretty neat that they were there playing

The start of the race

Feeling pretty good after the first half mile

On the way back to the finish with about a half mile left.....definitely feeling a little hot & tired by this point

Attempting to sprint to the finish


The Stats

Mile 1: 6:35
Mile 2: 6:55
Mile 3: 7:28
Mile 0.1: 0:41

Overall time for 5K: 21:39
Average pace: 6:58

Female: 2/52
Overall: 15/111

I was happy that I finished under a 7:00 minute place and that I ran faster than the two 5Ks from last summer but frustrated because I always start out way too fast and slow down the last mile significantly. I also realized that to actually improve my speed, I actually need to do some sort of speedwork, like 400 and 800 repeats. I know this isn't rocket science but I know when I'm training for longer races, like half and full marathons, I tend to do more tempo runs and slower long runs than speedwork. Overall though, I was happy with my race. I also really enjoyed the course too; it was on a bike/running path so it was shaded almost the entire race and the spectators were able to see you for the first and last half mile as you ran a large loop around a field to the start/finish area.

My second place plaque

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to place!