Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Club--Hunger Games Trilogy

When one of my fellow book club members suggested reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and then going to see the movie in March together, I was very skeptical. I never really jumped on the whole Harry Potter & Twilight bandwagon and was hesitant to read a series written for teens. I will be the first to admit after reading the trilogy that I was wrong and I can see how these books will suck you in and you won't want to put them down. I'd keep telling myself, I'll just read one more chapter then stop but no, there are little cliffhangers at the end of every chapter that keep you wanting more.

The Hunger Games trilogy


So what are these books even about? While the synopsis might not tempt you to read them, I highly suggest doing so anyways. Yes, they were a bit morbid and the entire concept of the Hunger Games is hard to believe but it's still a great read.

First of all, the trilogy is a young adult adventure science fiction series that takes place sometime in the future after the destruction of North America in a nation know known as Panem. Panem consists of a rich Capitol and twelve (formerly thirteen) surrounding, poorer districts which cater to the Capitol's needs. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol when twelve of the districts were defeated and the thirteenth destroyed, every year one boy and one girl from each of the remaining twelve districts are selected by lottery and forced to participate in the Hunger Games. The Games are a televised event where the tributes (participants) must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains. The winning tribute and his or her corresponding district is then rewarded handsomely.

The Hunger Games is about a teenage girl, Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers to take her younger sister's place in the upcoming Hunger Games. Peeta Mellark, a young boy, is the other District 12 tribute who also must fight to hopefully survive the Hunger Games.

Unfortunately, I can't go into much detail about the second & third books without giving too much away but again, I highly recommend reading them! I don't think I've ever been more excited about seeing a movie as I am about this one & our next book club meeting can't come soon enough.

The girls

No comments: