Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Last Chance for Boston 1/2 Marathon

I decided to run the Last Chance for Boston 1/2 Marathon about a month ago when I realized I had been running a decent amount and wanted to see where my fitness was at before I start to train for the Cap City 1/2 Marathon on May 5. I'm a bit of a wussy when it comes to running outside during the winter (despite our mild winter this year) so this was also a test to see how well running strictly on the treadmill translates to running an outdoor race. This race would also be a challenge not only because it would be cold outside but because it's a 1 mile loop course that I'd have to run 13 times.

The race shirt

Race outfit

The Stats


Mile 1: 7:44


Mile 2: 7:53

Mile 3: 7:43

Mile 4: 7:45

Mile 5: 7:46

Mile 6: 7:47

Mile 7: 7:39

Mile 8: 7:39

Mile 9: 7:38

Mile 10: 7:41

Mile 11: 7:47

Mile 12: 7:47

Mile 13: 7:39


Overall Time for 13.1: 1:41:16
Average Pace: 7:44 min/mi

Overall:32/154
Females:7/73
Females 20-29: 2/14

Here we go!

Passing Todd & my Dad on the first or second lap (notice the girl on the left, we were pretty much pacing each other the entire race)

All smiles even though I couldn't feel my fingers or legs the first couple miles

A little cold but nice & sunny

Around mile 5 or 6, I took my jacket & gloves off...still looking strong

Sprinting to the finish

Post-race with my medal (post-race refreshments were inside)

Todd & I with my plaque for being 2nd female in 20-29 age group

As you can see from my mile splits, I ran a pretty even race and in fact, I ran the second 6.5 miles faster than the first 6.5 miles. Let me tell you, this never happens to me! I'm notorious for starting out too fast and slowing down the last few miles. My legs were definitely tired the last couple miles but I really gave it everything I had on the last mile to kick it to the finish. Although I never verbally committed to a time goal, I had a pace band in my pocket for a 1:42 finish and was very happy to run faster than this. Like I said, I had been doing all my running on the treadmill and wasn't really planning on running as fast as I did! This was my 6th 1/2 marathon and 2nd fastest.

The 1 mile loop course didn't really seem to bother me because 1) Todd & my Dad were there cheering me on so I was able to see them 13 times, 2) there was 1 fluid station so I knew every lap I would have the opportunity for water and/or gatorade, and 3) I ran with my iPod (my very first race EVER doing this). There was also a girl who looked about my age (or a little younger) who started running with me on our first lap. Although we didn't say anything to each other during the race, it was nice to have someone to pace with & I definitely think she helped push me as I started to get tired towards the end. She had a lot more of kick left though because she took off with 1 mile to go and finished about 15-20 seconds ahead of me. Despite the lack of crowd support, since it was a loop course and there were multiple races going on at the same time (5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, Full Marathon, and Relay), there were constantly people around. I actually really enjoyed the race but don't think I could ever do a full marathon on a 1 mile loop course! The weather was pretty nice this year too (cold, but no snow, ice, rain, or wind) which was a definite plus.

1 comment:

Sara said...

CONGRATULATIONS on 2nd place in your age group - that is fantastic!! :)

I cannot imagine running this race at all because it is a one mile loop. I think it is awesome that you did it!

I hope your Cap City training goes well. :)