We had my parents over for dinner a couple nights ago and they tend to be my guinea pigs for new recipes that I try. Lucky for them, dinner was something I've made before and knew would be a hit but I wanted to make something new for dessert so I tried out these Carmelitas. They were easy to make and besides the caramel squares, I already had the rest of the ingredients at home. I served them with vanilla ice cream and judging from the empty plates I cleaned up after they left, I'd say they turned out well!
Caramel & chocolate sandwiched between two layers of an oatmeal/brown sugar crust
32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1. Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.
5. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
Recipe from Lulu the Baker