Monday, November 27, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

We had such a great, relaxing Thanksgiving which I never thought I'd say since we were cooking & having my parents over.  The girls were pretty entertained most of the morning by watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade so Todd & I prepped and got as much food ready as we could so when my parents came over in the early afternoon, we could just pop everything in the oven (thank god for a double oven!) and eat about an hour later.  We used the Pioneer Woman's recipes for the turkey, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes.  We also made roasted brussel sprouts, brown sugar glazed carrots, peas, and rolls as well as two desserts: Snickerdoodle Apple Crisp and Toffee Pecan Caramel Pound Cake.  My mom made stuffing which is my absolute favorite dish on Thanksgiving!  

Lucy helped me make the Toffee Pecan Caramel Pound Cake the day before Thanksgiving

The girls watching the parade

Only pic I got of the girls together all day (Cece was eating an apple slice)

Setting our dining room table (we only use this room/table a few times per year)

Lucy did such a great job making hand print turkey place cards--all her idea too!  I just cut out the hand prints and told her how to spell everyone's name

Getting the turkey ready

Making the mashed potatoes...

and the sweet potatoes

Had to get a picture of me & Cece with our matching gold polka dots

Todd cooked the turkey for a couple hours & then took it out to rub on the seasonings & butter before cooking it longer

Family photo

Table with all the food

Yum!!

Todd was 100% in charge of the turkey (and the presentation) and it was delicious

Cutting the turkey

Thank god for tripods & self-timers so we could get a family picture

My plate...mostly carbs

Cece was enjoying her Thanksgiving meal 

Grandpa & Lucy watching Beat Bugs after eating (it's based on Beatles' songs which Lucy has learned most of them from my dad so they were both entranced by watching the show)

Luckily, we had all found some room for dessert a few hours later so we all had some of the Toffee Pecan Caramel Pound Cake...

and the Snickerdoodle Apple Crisp

No comments: