Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Recital Weekend!

I never really understood the excitement and big production put into a dance recital but now that Lucy just wrapped up her third year of dance, I can tell you I love her dance recital and am so glad they make a big deal out of it. Even though I don't necessarily love the price of the tickets, I do love that it's at an actual theater and not a high school stage.  Her dance studio has a lot of students and classes so on recital weekend, there are 4 different recital shows and we happened to be in the Sunday at 4:00 PM show which was the last one.  By far, this was the best Lucy has danced in the recital (she actually knew the entire dance and you can tell she seemed confident when dancing).  Next year, she'll continue with tap and is also going to add musical theatre (combination of dancing, singing, and acting).  Another big change next year will be Cece being in the recital too!  She's going to be in the pre-dance (ballet) class for 3 year olds starting in the fall.  

Before we get to the recital at the end of the weekend, here's a quick recap of what we had been up to in the last week or so...

Lucy went to Y Camp at our local YMCA all week; our Y offers 3 different camps each week with different themes (Sports, Specialty, and Traditional) and Lucy picked the Specialty camp which was "Wild at Art" so they did a lot of art projects (and got to go swimming every day!)

With my work schedule and having to pick Lucy up from camp by 3:30 PM, poor Cece's nap was all thrown off and she ended up falling asleep in the car a few days 

I had to pick Lucy up from camp early on Thursday to get her ready and downtown for her dress rehearsal

I think for every picture I have of just Lucy, I also have one with Cece in it--she just can't miss a chance to be with her big sis!

Since Lucy was at camp all day on Friday, Cece & I got to spend the day together; I was originally hoping to go to Zoombezi Bay but it wasn't quite warm enough so Cece picked going to the zoo again to do all the rides

We also happened to catch one of the animal shows that we always seem to miss; it was really good and Lucy was bummed she missed out when we told her about it so we'll definitely have to make an effort to go again

I let Cece pick what she wanted to do and she chose the dinosaur boat ride...

the pony ride, and riding the train (forgot to take a picture)

After we picked Lucy up from camp, I decided to treat the girls to ice cream at Jeni's

They loved sitting outside eating it

Of course, I might have had ulterior motives for going to Jeni's because I wanted to pick up a pint of their limited edition Boston Cream Pie flavor (most expensive pint of ice cream I will ever buy too!)

Todd's favorite part of the entire weekend was when I volunteered to cut the grass for the first time ever! He tweaked his back working out that morning and I knew it needed to be done so I figured now was a good time to finally have him show me how to do it....and surprisingly, I actually didn't mind doing it!

We had a birthday party in the afternoon which was great because it was also an excuse for Todd & I to hang out with some friends while the kids played with their friends

Cece, Lucy, Olive, and Brody enjoying their birthday cake and ice cream

Strike a pose!

We spent most of Sunday afternoon at the recital; Cece was anxiously waiting for the dance recital to start (yes, she couldn't even wait until it started to have a snack)

Every year, the last number of the recital is the daddy daughter dance; it was a 70s theme this year and Lucy moved up to the next age group of dancers so the dance they had to learn was slightly harder than the last couple years
 

 More dancing

It's always fun to watch the dads get into it

 Waving at the very end as all the dancers came back on stage

Lucy rocked her tap number (which was to the Beach Boys' song Fun Fun Fun)

Post-recital picture

My new favorite picture! 

So proud of Lucy!

No comments: