Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Peek Into My Job...

As I've mentioned in a few of my posts, I'm an exercise physiologist and work within a hospital system. I don't actually work directly in a hospital but at an offsite occupational health clinic. I work with 4 other EPs in the Health & Performance Testing department. My job mainly consists of fitness testing city firefighters and police officers as well as some smaller fire departments. One of my favorite parts of my job is going out to one of the local fire stations every other week to group train the firefighters. I've been doing this for 2.5 years now so I know the guys I train pretty well. I have a blast torturing them with my workouts but also getting to see the results during their annual physical fitness test.

Unfortunately, when I go out to the station to train them, they're on the job so if a call comes in for a medical emergency or a fire, then they're out the door within a minute to respond to the call, which means I'm left hanging out by myself. This was the case the other morning. Since I had already run before going to work, I didn't feel like working out again while waiting for the guys to come back so instead I snapped a few shots of their workout room with my phone.

Cardio equipment (treadmill, bike, and elliptical) along with dumbbells


Strength training equipment, stability balls, plyo box, resistance bands


Various fitness equipment such as a leg press machine & medicine balls (if you look close enough you can see on the mirror where I write their workout for the day...and yes, I was watching the Today Show)
The bulletin board I created with fitness tips, tons of workouts I've created for them over the years, nutritional info, and department results from previous years' fitness tests

No comments: