Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Insanity

I'm sure everyone has heard of P90X and Insanity or at least seen the infomercials on TV. Todd & I were lucky enough to come across copies of both workout programs (thanks Dave!) and decided once we moved in together we would start doing Insanity. It's a 60 day total-body conditioning program, led by Shaun T, that has you working out 6 days/week with 1 rest day. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for Todd!), I teach 3 days/week so we've been trying to do Insanity on the other 3 or 4 mornings when I'm not teaching.

You start with a fit test and repeat the fit test every couple weeks to see your improvements. The first month, you rotate between 4 different workouts then take a week of "recovery" and finish the second month with 4 more workouts that are even harder and longer. The workouts involve no weights and are strictly cardio exercises with body weight exercises (push ups, squats, lunges) thrown in. I consider myself to be in good shape and doing Insanity has been very challenging....and I love it! You will be dripping in sweat with your heart rate sky high within the 10 minutes of warm up at the beginning of every workout. Although Todd & I aren't following the schedule as strictly as it says, I can already seen improvements and can't wait to finish the first month to see what the second month of workouts will bring.

According to the Insanity website, here's an explanation of all the DVDs that come along with the program:

Dig Deeper & Fit Test: To start, Shaun will put your body to the test and see what you're made of. (30 minutes)

Plyometric Cardio Circuit: Burn fat with intervals of intense lower-body plyometrics and sweat-inducing cardio. (40 minutes)

Cardio Power & Resistance: Build lean muscle and upper-body definition with strength-training and power moves. (40 minutes)

Cardio Recovery & Max Recovery: Shaun goes easier on you once a week so you’ll be ready for the next round. (40 minutes each)

Pure Cardio & Abs: Nonstop, extreme cardio workout. (40 minutes)

Cardio Abs: Do explosive intervals of cardio and core moves for rock-hard abs. (20 minutes)

Core Cardio & Balance: This workout lets you take a break after month 1 and gear up for month 2. (40 minutes)

Max Interval Circuit: With MAX Interval Training, this circuit is more intense than anything you've ever done before. (60 minutes)

Max Interval Plyo: Push your legs ‘til they beg for mercy with power and plyometrics, all at your MAX. (55 minutes)

Max Cardio Conditioning & Abs: Get pushed to your limit with this extreme cardio workout. (50 minutes)

1 comment:

Christina @ The Athletarian said...

I did Insanity last summer and MAN it killed me. I thought I was so fit and it would be a piece of cake, but it really is like no other workout. I would sweat like crazy! I was actually thinking of doing it again just for fun. Add something new to my workouts!