Monday, December 24, 2012

Getting into the Christmas Spirit

While most people get into the Christmas spirit as soon as Thanksgiving ends, I have a hard time getting excited for the holidays because for me, December means being insanely busy at work and working a bunch of crazy hours.  For the past four weeks, I've had to work at all hours of the day: 4:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM, 7:00 - 11:00 PM, and 11:00 PM - 3:00 AM.  This doesn't include my second job as a group fitness instructor where I teach at 5:45 AM multiple times a week.  Oh, and I guess this doesn't count my most important job as a wife where I'm supposed to do things like cook dinner, do the laundry, and clean the house.  I know that sounds stereotypical but when Todd works more than me (just more "normal" hours), I feel obligated to get stuff done around the house.  Anyways, my point being, I usually can't enjoy or get excited for Christmas because I just want December to be over so I'm not as busy at work.  Plus, I only get Christmas day off so yes, I'm at work today on Christmas Eve.
 
With the presents already wrapped under the tree, Todd & I had some time to enjoy the holidays this past weekemd.  We started with going to see the zoo lights at the Columbus Zoo.  We picked the perfect evening because it had just snowed all day and it was beautiful as we walked around.  It was pretty cold so we had to stay warm by going into different buildings to check out the indoor animals, like the reptiles and the fish, before wandering around outside.  We only live 5 minutes from the zoo and have annual passes so after an hour or so, we felt like we had spent enough time there and headed home.
 
Lights around the pond

I swear Todd & I are in the picture

On Saturday afternoon, we went over to my parents' house for the yearly tradition of icing the Christmas sugar cookies.  I think I've only missed doing this just a couple times since I was little and it's something I look forward to each year.  Todd has tagged along the past few years and has been pretty creative in thinking of unique ideas for decorating the cookies.

Todd before we started

Todd & I

A few of the finished cookies

Todd's favorite cookie of the day was his camouflaged reindeer on the bottom right

I hope to get back to blogging more regularly in the upcoming weeks.  Merry Christmas!

No comments: