Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sausage Pasta Skillet

Now that I'm home in the afternoons with Lucy, it seems like I've been cooking a lot more than I used to and actually really enjoying it!  The majority of my dinner recipes include either chicken or ground beef and when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I figured I'd give it a try since it has smoked sausage in it.  Plus, you can never go wrong with pasta and cheese!  An added bonus to this dish is that you don't have to cook the pasta ahead of time, you throw it in with the other ingredients and it cooks while it simmers.
 
I did tweak a couple things from the recipe I found; 1) I used penne pasta and not the campanelle that's pictured and 2) I just used regular petite diced tomatoes instead of a can of Rotel.  I'm not a fan of spicy food so you can swap for Rotel if you're into that.
 
My inspiration
 
Ingredients

Sautéing the sausage, onions, and garlic

Added the pasta, tomatoes, chicken broth, and heavy cream

After simmering for 15 minutes so the pasta could cook, you add cheese into the pasta and on top of the pasta along with green onions

Golden brown after broiling for a couple minutes and ready to eat!
 
Sausage Pasta Skillet

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

Directions:

1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.

from Kevin & Amanda

No comments: