Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel

I'll take any excuse I can get to try out a new recipe, specifically something sweet, so when my mother-in-law came into town to stay with us and help with  Lucy this week, I knew I had to find something great to make.  I headed to my Pinterest boards and found this Cream Cheese Coffee Cake recipe that was calling my name.  It's four layers of delicious batter, cream cheese filling, more batter, and topped with cinnamon streusel.  For once, the finished product actually looked exactly like the picture I pinned and tasted just like I thought it would.  It was delicious and definitely a recipe I'll add to my rotation for when we have overnight guests.
 
My Inspiration
 

 Ingredients

Batter layer

Cream cheese filling on top

And finally, the second layer of batter with cinnamon streusel on top



Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel
 
Ingredients:
    For the Cake:
     
    2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2/3 cup buttermilk
    For the Filling:
     
    2 pkg (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg
    For the Streusel:
     
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1 cup unsalted butter, melted
    3 cup all purpose flour
Directions:
 
1. For the cake, grease and flour a 13x9 baking dish and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low until combined. Beat in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and beat until fully combined and fluffy! Pour half the batter into baking dish, spreading evenly.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar and egg until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Pour over batter. Top with remaining half of cake batter.
3. For the topping, mix sugars with cinnamon and salt. Add in butter and combine fully. Add flour and mix with hands until fully combined. Pour crumb topping over batter, sprinkling with hands until evenly distributed.
4. Bake cake in a 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until fully cooked. Cool completely and serve.

from Shugary Sweets

No comments: