Todd comes home today from a business trip in Charleston, South Carolina. He left on Sunday afternoon so I invited my parents over for pizza night and made these Deep Dish Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie Bars for dessert. They were a huge hit! The chocolate filling mixture is pretty much just melted chocolate & sweetened condensed milk so I liked it because it was really gooey, almost like a brownie that isn't quite cooked all the way through. Since there are 3 layers to the bar, they were very thick and filling and an entire pan will go a long way. I will definitely making these again, perhaps for book club next month.
Cookie mixture in the dish...
With the chocolate mixture on top...
and covered with spoonfuls of remaining cookie mixture
Fresh out of the oven
Deep Dish Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie Bars
For the Cookie Mixture:
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups oatmeal
For the Chocolate Mixture:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the butter, eggs and brown sugar. Add vanilla and milk. Slowly incorporate the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat melt together all the chocolate mixture ingredients.
4. Spread 3/4 of the cookie mixture on the bottom of a greased 13x9 pan, pour chocolate mixture, then spread rest of cookie mixture on tops in spoonfuls (it won't cover it completely).
5. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool before serving.
from Love, Life, Lavins