Friday, November 27, 2015

Pumpkin Earthquake Cake

Todd & I hosted our very first Thankgiving yesterday and besides my mom's stuffing, I was most looking forward to dessert.  Todd wanted to make an apple pie so I decided to make a second dessert that was pumpkin-inspired but not pumpkin pie.  I've made several different pumpkin desserts over the years and was intrigued by this Pumpkin Earthquake Cake because it had cream cheese and butterscotch chips in the pumpkin cake.  It seemed like a unique twist and I was willing to try to it!  It was easy to make and was actually the first thing we made on Thanksgiving morning to free up our oven for the rest of the day's cooking.  After full bellies later that evening, we all found room for a small piece of cake and apple pie.  I liked the cake but I will admit it had more butterscotch flavor than pumpkin which I wasn't expecting; however, my dad LOVED the cake.  If you like butterscotch, this is definitely a cake for you but if you'd prefer something more pumpkin-flavored, I'd look elsewhere.

My Inspiration

Ingredients

Cream cheese mixture with butterscotch chips

Cake mix

Cake mix in the pan...

and the cream cheese mixture is swirled in

 Todd's homemade apple pie on the left with the pumpkin cake on the right


Pumpkin Earthquake Cake

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in microwave. Mix in the softened cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir in the butterscotch chips; set aside.
3. Mix the cake mix, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree together and pour a greased 9x13 baking dish.
4. Spoon dollops of the cream cheese mixture onto the batter. Take a butter knife and swirl the cream cheese mixture into the batter.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes.  Allow to cool.


from Flour Me with Love

No comments: