Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Family Outing to the Ohio State Fair

A few months back, I made a list of things I wanted to do with Lucy & Cece (although mainly for Lucy) while I was on my maternity leave.  I should note, I also made a list of dessert places around town I want to try too!  One of the things on my list was to go to the Ohio State Fair.  It worked out perfectly that Todd was still off work last week and after looking at all the events & special prices for each day, it seemed like last Thursday would be the best day to go.  Not only was admission only $3/person if you brought in 2 canned good for each person (Lucy & Cece were free), but they were also having a special WOSU/PBS Kids event where you could meet several of the characters from some of their TV shows which of course included Lucy's favorite, Daniel Tiger!  I was afraid we were going to get rained out that morning when I looked at the weather forecast but luckily the rain held off and it was just overcast most of the day which was great that it didn't feel quite as hot since the sun wasn't out.  

The fair opened at 9:00 AM and we got there a little before 10:00 AM when the PBS Kids event was starting.  The fair itself didn't really seem crowded until closer to lunch time (and even then it really wasn't as crowded as I was expecting it to be) and there was hardly anyone at the PBS Kids event when it started so we didn't even have to wait in line.  When we walked by again a little bit later, there was a line with probably at least 30-40 people/kids in it.

Lucy posing by the big sign advertising the event

Holding hands with Daniel Tiger

Dancing with Peg + Cat

Shaking her hand

Holding hands with Cat

Lucy & Cece (who slept almost the entire 3 hours we were there except for about 30 min when she was hungry)

After meeting Daniel Tiger and Peg + Cat, we started to venture into some of the different animal buildings.  We saw cows, pigs, baby chicks, and horses just to name a few!  We also rode the carousel and enjoyed some deep fried treats.

Checking out the cows

Lucy was excited to see the pigs...and these things were huge!

We also saw the big boar which was seriously ginormous and weighed almost 1200 pounds!

The famous butter cow and some other butter sculptures to celebrate the Cavs winning the NBA title

"Milking" a cow

Riding a pink tractor

Lucy picked this seat and thought the bench was going to move up and down like the horses and was very confused when it didn't

View of the midway and sky ride

Todd got a corn dog...

and then we also ordered a sample of deep fried treats...

which included deep fried Buckeyes, Oreos, and Nutter Butters

I was so excited to try them all out and this might have been one of the reasons I wanted to go the fair; the buckeyes were by far my favorite!

We even met up with my friend, Emily, who was there judging some of the 4-H exhibits

While I was feeding Cece, Todd & Lucy watched the barrel competition for the horses and she loved it so she asked to go back again to watch more before we left

No comments: