Thursday, May 31, 2018

Memorial Day Weekend 2018 (Part 2)

On to Part 2 of our long holiday weekend....

Sunday morning I joined a couple friends to check out a class at Workshop, Columbus's newest boutique fitness studio.  They opened about a month ago and were offering free classes over the weekend so I invited Lynn & April to come along.  The class on Sunday was total body focusing on slow twitch muscle exercises (lighter weights, longer rounds, more endurance based vs. higher intensity, quick, all out moves) and I loved the variety of equipment and unique way to incorporate the equipment into the exercises.  Truth be told, in case you hadn't figured it out by now, I love high intensity exercise, that feeling of breathlessness, and being a sweaty mess.  While this particular class didn't fit the bill, I'd be curious what some of their other classes are like (each day focuses on one type of class and I believe one of the days is cardio & core).  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the class but not enough to entice me to buy a class package (especially when a single class is $25!).

Once I was home, we immediately packed up to make our first trip to Zoombezi Bay for the year.  The girls had a blast at the Tiny Tides area (Lucy still loves it after all these years!) and we also made a trip around the lazy river to the wave pool.  Nothing beats staying cool on a 90 degree day than a trip to the water park.  After we got home and Cece was napping, I spent some time getting food ready and cleaning up the house for our friends who were coming over.  Jay & Sara arrived with their 3 kids later in the afternoon and spent a few hours hanging out.  The kids mostly played outside with the water table and pool and we also grilled out & made s'mores until the kids started to get tired.  Another long day but so worth it.

Outside of Workshop

View of the studio--everyone has their own "shop" or station with a water rower, mat, and "tools" (dumbbells, bands, ankle weights, foam roller, etc.)

View from the other side

Lynn, April, and me after class

First official picture of the year at Zoombezi Bay

Going down the slide together

I was actually surprised Lucy still loved this area as much as she did

The girls eating snacks before dinner

Cece's first s'more involved her taking apart the graham crackers, eating the chocolate, and put the graham crackers and marshmallow back together

It was supposed to be another sunny, hot day on Monday for Memorial Day so we walked down to the Powell parade early so we'd get a spot in the shade.  Considering how sweaty I was just walking there, I couldn't have imagined standing in the sun for the entire parade.  My dad walked down with us too and Lynn & her family also met up with us.  The parade lasted about an hour or so which was just enough time for the kids to collect quite a bit of candy in their bags.  After we walked back home, we once again packed up to head to Zoombezi Bay but this time my dad also joined us!  We get the gold membership for the zoo + Zoombezi Bay and they have a deal in April where if you buy 3, you get 1 free.  Well, we only needed 3 since Cece is still free so we gave my dad our free membership so he could join us this summer (or go on his own!).  It also includes all the fun extras at the zoo like the carousel, train ride, camel ride, giraffe feeding, etc. so now when my parents take the girls to the zoo (when I'm at work), my dad can do all those things with Lucy and not have to pay.  After a few hours out in the sun, we were all worn out and headed home.  We didn't do anything fancy for dinner that night--just grilled out burgers and corn and ate outside on our patio in the shade.  We were all pretty tired from the extra long weekend and went to bed early to get ready for another busy week.

Waiting for the parade to start

Family pic

Hanging out with Lucy

Grandpa & his girls

Lucy & Cece with Olive & Brody

Waving their flags as the parade started

Little besties
Anxiously waiting for someone to pass out candy

The best pic I could get of all 4 of the kids watching the parade--clearly, Cece was most concerned about keeping an eye on the candy in her bag

Another shot of Lucy & Olive

Cece loved the float with bubbles

Lynn & I with our kiddos

Walking home

Lounging during our lunch break

Drying off and getting ready to head home

No comments: