Friday, July 1, 2011

Shortest Trip Ever

Remember how the Cubs baseball game was rained out last month on my birthday? Well, it was rescheduled for this past Tuesday afternoon so Todd & I decided to take a couple days off work and make the trip back to Chicago. We left early Tuesday morning after I was done teaching my class & cleaned up and arrived in Chicago right as the game was starting. We checked into our hotel and took the train to Wrigley. Unlike last month, the weather was absolutely beautiful....sunny sky and 80 degrees.

The view from our seats

The outfield from our seats

As soon as we got to the game, we immediately hit up the concession stand for lunch. Todd wanted to try an authentic Chicago hot dog while I got nachos. You can never go wrong with nachos at a sporting event.

I'm still not sure what was on Todd's hot dog but the nachos were pretty tasty

Mandatory picture of two of us

And of course I had to get soft serve ice cream!

The Cubs lost to the Giants, 13-7

After the game was over, we walked around the bar area outside of the stadium and decided to go to Goose Island. It's pretty much a requirement for Todd & I to go to either a brewery/brewpub or winery on every trip we go on.

Menu & beer list outside of Goose Island in Wrigleyvill

Todd's taster flight of beers

We decided to head back into downtown Chicago around dinnertime and stopped at lululemon Rush Street real quick to say hi to my friend Gina before she lead their running club. We walked back to our hotel, Hyatt Regency, and took time to soak in Chicago.

View of our hotel in the background along the river

We changed and decided to walk all the way back where we just came from for dinner at Gino's. Last month, we tried deep dish pizza at Giordano's and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I actually think our crust was slightly burnt. Gino's though was a different story; it was delicious!

Waiting in line outside Gino's....and this was at 8:00 PM!

Appetizer of fried ravioli

Enjoying our 4-cheese deep dish pizza

Our eyes might have been bigger than our stomachs

We didn't even come close to eating the whole pizza but figured we could put it on our fridge in the hotel room. Well, the hotel fridge was extremely small! I thought we'd have to throw away the pizza but don't worry, Todd made our very own icebox out of the dresser drawer. It's nice sometimes to be engaged to an engineer. Surprisingly, there was still ice left in the bag in the morning and the pizza was still cold.

Todd wrapped the pizza box in a plastic bag and loaded another bag full of ice, covered everything with a towel, and kept the drawer shut all night....genius!

Perhaps the best part of the trip was actually getting 8 hours of sleep on Tuesday night! I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. We got up and ventured out to find the path along the lakefront to run a few miles. It was a little warmer than I anticipated but Todd managed to run 6 miles while I ran 8 miles.

After getting cleaned up and packing up, we walked over to Millennium Park to see Cloud Gate (or the bean as most people refer to it as). The park was beautiful and we spent a little time walking around the gardens. We happened to luck out and be in Chicago while the Taste of Chicago was going on and figured that would be perfect for lunch before driving back to Columbus.

Hanging out in Millennium Park

Reflection of downtown Chicago in the bean

I finally made it to see this!

Taking the typical picture of our reflection

Todd & I

Walking through the garden

Taste of Chicago was in Grant Park (right next to Millennium Park) and had almost 60 food booths set up. We bought some tickets and walked around, trying a few taster plates here and there.

Taste of Chicago entrance

Lots of vendors set up

First up was Ricobene's

We tried a sample of a breaded steak sandwich

Then we headed to The Cubby Bear

We tried fried mac & cheese bites

Star of Siam was next

The Pad Thai was delicious

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria

We had a Chopped Salad

The last place we tried was Connie's Pizza

We had a mini meatball sub

We left Chicago around 1:00 PM and with the hour time change and a quick stop for dinner, we didn't get home until 9:00 PM. It was crazy that we were literally in Chicago for 24 hours yet we did so much! We both had a lot of fun and were glad we were able to go back to the Cubs game.

No comments: